Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Life Goes On

A little over four years ago I lost my grandfather.  I never thought I would continue this blog after I dedicated that post to him.  Much as I tried I couldn't come up with a segue to something more joyful to write about.  It seemed wrong to just write the next happy thing that came along as if what just happened didn't really happen.  These past few days I learned that I can write again and I have found the perfect segue - Life goes on. In the last four years my family has been through some major personal catastrophes that I literally wasn't sure I could live through. It took me a long time to truly believe that no matter what happens, it is well with my soul! Storms will come our way, but no matter how devastating they may seem joy comes in the morning!  It's ok to write about the happy shortly after you've endured the sad, because we live in a fallen world and that's just life.

When I woke up this morning and saw blue skies and sunshine, I teared up.  Not because I'm happy we can somewhat get out of the house now, but because I felt grateful beyond belief.When I sat down to watch the news and saw a segment about a toddler clinging to their momma’s lifeless body, I broke. The two had gotten swept away by the current and a rescue boat was able to catch them and bring them into the boat, but the mother didn’t make it. I cried all morning.  It’s like my mind finally caught up with my heart and I truly realized just how lucky we are.  I’m in awe that we were spared. While I’m certainly thankful that we were untouched, I don’t understand it either.

We know that we are no more deserving than anyone else. We never had to experience true gut-wrenching fear. We didn't have to clutch our babies close as we swam to safety. We didn't even live without our first world luxuries of hot showers and home cooked meals every day. I know that God was here and that there's some reason that we made it out unscathed. I don't necessarily believe the well-meaning cliches of "God protected you!" or "Your angels were with you!" I know it's meant to be a phrase of comfort, and maybe even a sort of badge of honor - “You made it, I’m so glad!”  As if we really could have stopped the flood waters from coming into our home if we wanted to. Believing those words would imply that God wasn't protecting or sending angels to my neighbors only two blocks away that had to ax their families way through their attic. Or the nursing home residents whose photo went viral as they sat in chest deep flood waters waiting for some sort of relief.  I don’t believe in a God who would do that.

So while I don't buy into God picking or choosing my family for protection over others, I most definitely know He was here. I saw Him in giving that neighbor the strength he needed to wield that ax to save his family. I saw Him in the momma that swam with her newborn to safety. I saw him in the Cajun Navy and the many local boat owners that quite literally put on their boots and got to work. I saw Him in the women picking up laundry from shelters to wash and return. I saw Him in the first responders that put their lives on the line. I saw Him in “Mattress Mack” opening up his furniture stores and welcoming people to make themselves at home and sleep on the furniture and mattresses because he believed that human life meant more than any sort of profit.

Tonight my family and I went out outside and my daughter thought it was so cool that we could see the moon and some stars. I smiled; I knew God was here all along and He looks down with pride as we Houstonians are loving our neighbors.  We will get to work cleaning up this horrific mess, school and work will resume, and life will have a sense of normalcy again.  Hurricane Harvey has slowly moved out of the Houston area and will slowly make its way north and finally fade out of existence, never to be forgotten.  This last six days will be six days that I will remember forever.   I will remember my children getting to play games and spend time with my sister and their great grandmother.  I will remember the same movies being played over and over.  I will remember the walks we took and the puddles splashed in to pass the time.  I will cherish these days forever knowing that they very well could have been our last.



When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul
-Horatio Spafford, 1873

No comments:

Post a Comment