Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Attention: Villagers Wanted!

One of those heart-melting sweet moments when
she's "saying the blessing" :)
My husband and I moved to Houston, Tx almost 3 years ago and it took me a while to adjust.  I am very much a "homebody" if you will.  That being said, when we found out I was pregnant I was elated and scared at the same time.  We had planned on raising our children around our families, but that was obviously not in God's plan.  After M got a job here we thought that we would work here for about 5 years, get some experience under our belts, and move back to our hometown of Shreveport, La.  M loves his job here, we have some great friends, and a wonderful church!  We are pretty sure that this is where we are settling down and raising our family and I have finally excepted this truth.

We've all heard the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child."  Lately I keep wondering where are all my village people at?! :)  Living 4 hours from the nearest relatives is taking a toll on me lately. I'm feeling a little burnt out.  I'm a little envious of my friends back home who have family around to take the kids for a few hours now and then.  Or even to come over and keep them occupied so momma can get some chores done in a timely manner or have some quiet time with daddy.  A has been waking up quite a bit during the night lately, add that to keeping up with regular housecleaning, cooking, and making sure she gets a good dose of fresh air and sunshine to her play is really wearing me out.  M helps out when he gets home from work, but I certainly don't expect it.  He has his job and this is mine.  [And to be honest, I don't mind because he doesn't get things quite as clean as I like :) ]

Just the other morning, while M and I were making breakfast, I turned around to see that A had climbed onto the dining table and was playing with my sewing machine.  I firmly told her to get down and she just stared.  I told her once more to get down and she continued playing and touching the machine.  I walked over and said, "A get down right now."  I kid you not at the age of 1 1/2 she looked at me, rolled her eyes, and turned away!  My brother is here visiting with us and he, M, and myself all looked at each other in shock.  Did she really just do that?! I quickly pulled her off of the table, gave her a spanking, and told her why she can't behave like that.  My sweet baby is already heading into the terrible two's stage and I am not looking forward to it.

I'm reading a book that a dear friend gave me called Feminine Appeal:  Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother by Carolyn Mahaney and I'd like to share a passage with you:
Motherhood can be both exhilarating and exasperating. It can present us with a delightful experience one moment and a baffling encounter the next.  There are days when we can't imagine doing anything more rewarding.  Then we have days when caring for our children feels anything but significant.  ... I seldom feel like much of an adventurer-standing in this kitchen, pouring cereal into bowls, refilling them, handing out paper towels when the inevitable cry comes: "Uh oh.  I spilled."  But sometimes the thought will strike me:  There are three small people here, breathing sweetly in their beds, whose lives are for the moment in our hands.  I might as well be at the controls of a moon shot, the mission is so grave and vast.
She is right, this mission is definitely vast and grave! One second I look at my sweet baby and just hold her and breathe her in ... then she wiggles away yelling no, no!  I think God transplanted us here to a place with no family or friends to teach us to cling to each other.  It's taken us a year and half but A has started teaching us that once in a while we need to get out, whether with each other or on our own, and hit the refresh button :) And testy as she may be sometimes, we're always happy to walk back through the door and scoop her up for a big hug!  Not being able to drop her off so easily with a grandparent, aunt, or uncle has proven to us that we can do this.  It's also been wonderful for our marriage as well; when you have nowhere to go, it makes it difficult to run ;)  

So for any mommas out there having one of those days that make you want to run off like a mad man this is our new mantra, repeat after me:

        "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!" - Philippians 4:13
































Although Uncle J isn't quite old enough for babysitting duties, having him around as free entertainment for two weeks also does wonders for Baby A!

No comments:

Post a Comment