Wednesday, July 24, 2013

How Does He Do It?!

Well, it happened again-this thing we call life.  It has been a little over a month since I've last posted.  I hate it when time slips away from me, because I have so much to tell!  Here's a little glimpse of what the last month for me has looked like...

The weekend of June 8-9, we went to Shreveport for a friends' wedding.  We decided to let my younger brother, Uncle J, come stay with us for two weeks. So the weekend of the 23, my momma and youngest sister came to pick him up.  During that time we decided to go to Galveston for a day.  What a day that turned out to be! As we packed up the car and got ready to head home, trouble was brewing.  I literally pulled of the beach parking and suddenly had to use every muscle I had to turn the steering wheel.  Naturally, I thought the power steering was out.  I called M to ask what I should do when I noticed smoke coming from the hood.  I popped the hood and waved the smoke away only to find liquid rubber. That's right, a belt had melted and was literally dripping from the engine. By the time it snapped it got caught around the fan bladed which busted our water pump.  So, thankfully, I had a friend with me (we'll call her KK) who called a tow truck and cab while I was on the phone with the insurance and trying to keep my husband updated.  Meanwhile Baby A and Uncle J were melting themselves in the backseat!  It's funny how things work out, because God turned such an extremely stressful situation into a deeper friendship.  My friend and I spent all day together and were able to share our hearts with one another and enjoy each other's fellowship!  A and J were such troopers that day as well.  With no naps and having to carhop back and forth between our car, the cab, the tow truck and KK's husbands truck a melted should have been a guaranteed event, but they were great the whole time!

M, A, and I got a week break to ourselves to just hang out, with no plans involved.  Well Thursday my great grandmother had a stroke, and did I forget to mention that while we were in Shreveport for the wedding my grandfather had a stroke? So now I had my grandfather, Pops, and his momma in two different hospitals for strokes.  Wednesday morning I got a call saying that Grandma had passed away.  It's always sad when someone dies, but with 94 years of age and a strong Christian faith I have absolutely no doubt that Grandma was reunited with Pawpaw and they are dancing with Jesus! :)  Now when I found this out I had to figure out a way to the funeral.  With car problems just a week before, we couldn't afford to drive long distance in our only vehicle.  Not to mention we had traveled to Shreveport twice in the month before and the AC was out in our car, so A was not going to be a happy traveler.  Plane tickets for my husband and I were astronomical so that was out of the question.  Riding a train or bus was our next option, but also ridiculously expensive and would take 3 days to get there! Luckily my great aunt and uncle live here in Houston as well, so I was able to hitch a ride with them.  M had previously requested off work that Friday and his mom had already planned to come for a visit as well.  What divine intervention!  God was certainly going ahead of me and had made the arrangements for myself to get to Arkansas for the funeral and also for A to be taken care of while I was away.  


5 generations!

I spent a week in Arkansas and while I hated the circumstances, I loved having a family reunion of sorts with grandparents, aunts, uncles, many, many cousins and of course my own parents and siblings. The great aunt and uncle I rode in with stayed a few extra days to visit with other family, but I couldn't hold out any longer.  So I rented a car and drove all the way back to Houston - 10 hours! Luckily one of my sisters was able to ride with me so I didn't have to make the trek alone.  Again, I hated the circumstances that these things happened in, however I got to drive my childhood dream car ha ha When I was younger I always wanted a lime green Volkswagen Beetle, this wasn't lime green but it was a beetle nonetheless :)




When I finally made it home I could not wait to see my husband and baby! It had been entirely too long and once I had them in my arms I never wanted to let go!  When I walked in the front door and A saw me she squealed and then started laughing like a little crazy person, it was so funny! She hugged me so tight and when her daddy asked for a hug, because he had just arrived home from work, she squeezed me tighter and said no! Then she wiggled down and started pulling me towards the door.  I followed her lead, thinking she wanted me to take her to the pool, but guess where we ended up? The laundry room!! She held her hands out and smiled as if to say, "Welcome back, the laundry's waiting!"  It's pretty funny that she knows my job description ;)  



While Aunt Chevy (that's what A calls her) and I were taking A for a walk in her new wagon that my grandmother sent, something big had happened back in Shreveport.  When we got back home I was in the kitchen when Chevy said, "Check your phone!" "What?" I said.  "Just check your phone!"  Our middle sister had just gotten engaged! As soon as I put A to bed we called to congratulate her and get the story.  I hope and pray for the very best; may they enjoy a long and fruitful marriage!


     


Well, after another week full of company, M's mom left on Tuesday and Aunt Chevy caught the train back on Thursday.  And to wrap it all up, my brother shipped out to basic training on Sunday.. Whew, what a time this has been! What a mighty God we serve! I was worried about how things would pan out with me suddenly being gone so long and He took care of everything! 

Things here are finally back to normal and Miss Priss just woke up from a nap, so that's all I've got for now.  Hopefully we finally have some free time, with no plans or trips for a long time! It's back outside to play for her and to finish painting a project for me :)

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." - Deuteronomy 31:8

No comments:

Post a Comment