Monday, April 29, 2013

Get in the Game!


If you’ve ever known someone that is trying to learn a new language, they can probably tell you the best way to learn is to just immerse yourself in the culture.  Jump in and live the way the natives live, eat what they eat, spend time with the people.  My husband and I have been immersed in a new culture for the past eight weeks roughly.  The Jesus culture!  We have been reading our Bible and having discussions, praying together for things other than our food ;) and fellowshipping with other Christians. 

Growing up I was raised in church, going to camps, retreats, and Bible studies.  Honestly, for me, I don’t remember a time before Jesus.  I came from a family that prayed together and did our best to be a witness to others by our actions.  I officially gave my life to Jesus and asked him into my heart when I was eight years old in Mrs. Virginia Hale’s Sunday school class.  I was so excited to go into “big church” and tell my family.

Since giving my life to Jesus I have strayed.  I said above that I can’t remember a time before Jesus, but unfortunately I can remember a time without Him.  When I moved off to college I thought I would carry my love for the Lord with me and share it with others.  It didn’t take long to get caught up in the college life.  I wasn’t a big party-goer and I didn’t like to drink every weekend, but I found myself too busy.  I didn’t find a church to go to or any organization to join.  I hung out late with friends and I had to sleep in on Sundays.  I had to work, go to class, and study.  After that I simply forgot about church.  After all, God knew my heart right?  He knew that I still loved him, why did I have to go to church to prove that?

 So I have this confession to make.  I didn’t exactly marry a Christian guy like I grew up thinking.  He was definitely a Christian believer and would even argue his faith if someone stated there wasn’t a God.  But in M’s own words he “wasn’t in the game.”  He says that now looking back he thinks of his faith in Jesus as a ball game, he was just  a spectator.  He was at the game, but he wasn't really in the game, he was just a bystander.  Now he gets to be on the field, he gets to be a starter and it is so exciting!  

Yesterday morning I was able to stand beside my husband in church and worship the Lord.  It was such a refreshing and intimate moment to be able to hold hands and raise our arms together to worship our God.  After we left church, my husband said that after we took communion he just felt so consumed with God's love that he cried.  You hear "real men" quotes all the time like real men wear pink, etc.?  Well real men cry because they're so full of the Lord :)

So the question is, do you want to stand on the sidelines and watch or would you rather be first string and start every morning with God in your heart and a smile on your face?  If it was your last quarter of the game where will you be?  Don't hesitate, GET IN THE GAME!!  :)



"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." - Romans 5:1-4 



No comments:

Post a Comment