Monday, April 8, 2013

Squirrels and Snakes and Hives, Oh My!

If you read my last post you know that I haven't had much down time lately and this weekend has been no different.  Friday morning started out as usual; got ready for the day, made breakfast for the kids, and around 9 I noticed A had broken out in hives.  By the time M got home from work it had spread quite a bit.  We went to the pharmacy and got some topical benadryl and it worked, but only temporarily.  I had to reapply it before bedtime, in the middle of the night, and again when she woke up.  We decided to take her to an urgent care center where they gave her a steroidal shot and some antihistamine.  Thankfully she's been clear ever since.  We never did figure out exactly what the cause was, but more than likely it's something that was brought into the house on someones shoes or maybe a new ingredient in some food, etc.

So that was Friday and Saturday.  After church today we decided to clean out our vehicle and go through a car wash. When we got back home I was getting A out of her car seat and I heard M holler for me.  I quickly got A and ran to the front door...M opened our front door and was greeted by a squirrel on our entertainment center.  My husband is a manly man for sure, but rodents of any kind are not his thing.  We tried banging around to scare it out but no luck.  So we decided to go about our normal routine and pray that it ran back out.  I started doing laundry and M did the dishes.  I asked him why he was carrying A around and he said he didn't want her to get bit by the rabid squirrel.  I wish I had been able to video this whole situation, it was quite entertaining.  We set a rat trap with peanut butter and bird seed and M is slept with the broom by his side of the bed. We ended up bringing A to our bed and my protective husband locked our bedroom door and put a towel in front of it .  I ended up hearing it chattering today and it was literally jumping on the daybed in A's room trying to get out of the window!  I called the apartment manager who called a maintenance man.  After scaring it from her room to the living room and running a maze in there for a while he managed to scare it out the front door! Thank you Lord for Teo, maintenace man of the year :)  

And this happened 2 weekends ago, but it's definitely worth mentioning - A brought me a snake!  Yep, you read that right.  I was standing in my bathroom doorway brushing my teeth when she came out of the dining room dragging and swinging something in her hand.  I had been sewing the night before and thought she had gotten a scrap piece of fabric.  I nonchalantly told her to stop messing with things and went about my business.  We had breakfast, went outside to check the weather, came back in, and played in the living room for a while.  As we were walking to her room I noticed the "piece of fabric" move.  It was a snake!  It was no more than a foot long and we think it was just a garden/rat snake, but it was quite the scene.  Eventful, right?! 



This weekend has been full of surprises and excitement, and I'm thankful for every moment! I'm also extremely thankful that God sent Teo to rid us of our rodent!

"The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy!" - Psalms 126:3

                                                                            

1 comment: