Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sometimes "No, No" Just Doesn't Work


Well, A is definitely back to normal.  I told her not to do something and she told me to "hutch", I told her not to climb on the dishwasher again or she'd get a spanking and she said "no way!"  Her newest way to try and get out of trouble is to give me a kiss in the middle of me telling her to behave and then she steps back and says "aww."  I hate when she does that!  How am I supposed to give you a spanking and make you behave  when you just gave me a sweet kiss?!  By doing just that, going ahead with the forewarned spanking anyway-that's how I make her behave.

I am certainly no pro at parenting, after all she's my only child and I haven't even been doing this parenting thing for a year and a half yet.  But I know that in order to ensure good behavior down the road, I must start now.  I have to let her know that I am the Momma, not her playmate or friend.  I do not do what she tells me to; even when she's pointing that cute little finger and trying to be bossy.  I do not give in to every little thing that she wants; she doesn't always know what she wants so I have to decide for her.  I do not think that being destructive and making a mess is funny; I have plenty of things to clean already.  

My role as her parent is twofold.  1) Her Daddy and I need to guide her and teach her to love the Lord and follow Him.  2) We are supposed to raise her to be a productive member of society.  Sounds simple, but unless you are a parent yourself reading this you know it's not that simple at all.  I love my baby girl with all that is in me, I would literally walk through fire for her.  However, because I love her is the reason that I stand my ground and make her behave.  She's not even a year and a half, she can't be that bad right?  If that's what you're thinking you're very right.  But that's exactly how I'd like to keep it-not that bad.  She's a toddler so of course she gets into things that she shouldn't and she tells me no and she SOMETIMES throws a kicking and screaming fit.  She's not perfect, but she is very well behaved and we get such compliments from our friends and strangers when we're out in public.  

Children need structure and discipline.  They don't know what is good for them or not, we have to teach them that.  There's reasons that they cannot do whatever they please.  If you climb up the high chair by yourself you might fall and hit your head on the floor.  If you reach up and touch the stove/iron/grill/etc you will get burned.  If you climb up the dresser or tv stand it might tip over and you could break a leg (I actually know a little guy that happened to).  Most friends and family respect the fact that M and I spank and discipline A, because they can see the fruits of our labor and attest that A is very well behaved for her age.  A few think that we're too mean and that we should never spank anyone, but honestly those people have the children that no one wants to watch or even be around sometimes.

Moral of the story:  Spare the rod, spoil the child.  It's not just a Bible verse, it's common sense!

"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them." - Proverbs 13:24


And there's times like this that don't need discipline at all.  These are the truly funny situations that you can laugh at.  She insisted on wearing one shoe all day that day :)


When you have an obedient child not only does it make life easier, but it makes it more fun.  A loves helping do things in the kitchen.  If she were throwing things on the ground or not listening this would not be possible!  Children like to please, even at a year old she loves to learn and help out :)  Here she's seasoning the mashed potatoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment