Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Playing Is Learning!


Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I believe that playing is learning and learning can be playful.  Confused? My beliefs aren't too much different than the Montessori way of teaching.  I believe in allowing children free movement in that they are not always confined to a desk and they are able to explore different activities or lessons on their own.  Many people will think that the children simply run wild and rampant but this couldn't be further from the truth.  There are different lessons available to them and they are able to play and learn at their own pace.  A huge contrast to conventional learning where children are taught to sit at desks, raise their hands to use the restrooms, and are taught lessons in very short amounts of time.  It's no wonder there are so many kids struggling in schools.  They can't even do something as personal as using the restroom without making it public to the class.  I'm not saying there shouldn't be boundaries, of course kids need boundaries and rules.  However I do think that allowing kids to be creative while they are young can help channel their behaviors much more effectively than restraining them in a desk all day.  When you start a new job somewhere do you sit in the break room on the computer the whole day or do you shadow an experienced employee who can show you the rounds and let you get some hands-on lessons?  My point exactly, so I will get off my soapbox now :)

So with that being said I am always looking for something creative and different to keep my kiddo occupied and out of trouble, while still being somewhat educational too.  Of course you can scour the web for tons of ideas, however my drug of choice is Pinterest.  It's ridiculously addicting!  If you're not familiar with it, it's a website that is a virtual bulletin board or pin board.  You can save neat craft ideas, tasty recipes you would like to try, sewing tips; seriously the possibilities are endless.  

Still the cute ideas you find on Pinterest may not be affordable or available when you're in a bind.  Luckily, I have some creativity genes of my own and today I put them to good use!  So here's several activities you can do with your little ones.  Keep in mind that A is only one so they are very simplified, you can always add something extra to make it more challenging. 



 First I dug through my craft dresser - literally a dresser filled with drawers full of craftiness - and I came across some different colored felt.  So I sorted them into color piles and also laid out some measuring cups and watched. 



























She started out by putting them to one side, then the other.  Then she figured out how to nest them and then handed them off to me, such a giver :)


 

She got bored with the nesting cups pretty quickly so I redirected her attention to the felt and she actually spent several minutes meticulously separating each sheet.



























As I came back with another activity for her to play with I caught her doing her own sensory activity in my tea glass!  So I turned that into a learning experience as well and said, "Oh, it's cold isn't it?  Is it slippery too?"  I know she doesn't fully comprehend this yet but that's what learning is right?!





I bought a pack of rings from Ikea recently and actually this paper towel holder too that I turned into a ribbon dispenser (also an idea from Pinterest).  I took off all of the ribbon and put the rings on ...


 


She knew that the rings were on there and she could pick them up one by one to get them off but she didn't quite get how to put them back on so instead she sat them on the bottom.  And of course she had to put it in her mouth, but hey taste is a sense too!



     

She found the cups again and put the rings inside, took them out, put them back in, shook them out everywhere, then eventually collected them all and started bringing them to me :)





And since spaghetti with a one year old is obviously a sensory activity I had to post this one too!  


I could go on and on with different ideas to do with your kids young and old, big and small.  Even on a budget you can look around your home and find things that are engaging.  Don't get me wrong though, we still have a toy box full of everyday toys!




So what can you come up with?  I'd love to know! 






No comments:

Post a Comment