Saturday, February 23, 2013

What Momma Did

Five Minute Friday: What Mama Did
This week four friends have shared unique memories of their mothers with us. Here are parts one (the storytelling), two (the mashed potatoes)three (the laughing) and four (the imagining) in the series.
It’s been a gift to unwrap each of them and wonder what my own kids will treasure. The things I never could have imagined they would remember. Way beyond the laundry or dishes or craft projects gone wrong, what things will they take away from my mothering I never could have expected? Never could have planned for?  Today’s your turn. What did your mama do that makes her your mama? - Lisa Jo Baker

So you remember the rules right? Set a timer and write for five minutes flat.  No edits or corrections, just straight from the heart.  I encourage you to join in! Whether you have a blog or not, grab a pen and paper and jot down your thoughts.  It might end up being something your own Mama would treasure!

Ready??  Go!!

As I've been reading the series this week, I kept thinking to myself - what one thing did Momma do?  Turns out I was stumped, I couldn't think of one thing...I could think of a million.  

I speak for my 4 siblings and myself when I write:
She was our teacher, our biggest supporter, our encourager, our friend, and our guiding light.  She taught us not to follow the crowd or try to be popluar, but instead to be ourselves and watch as the crowds follow us.  She supported us at every dance competition, baseball/football/soccer game, or band concert.  She encouraged us to do what's right; it may not be easy, but it's worth it.  We didn't become friends until I moved away to college, but I'm so glad we did - I've shared everything with her.  She's lead the way and shown us that even when you're in your darkest place, God is still there even when you can't see him.  

She has a beautiful smile, a contagious laugh, and a heart bigger than the ocean.  She gets her feelings hurt easily, worries about everything, and is spastic beyond belief - But that's what Momma does, and that's what makes her mine :)

I love you Momma!

"She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.  She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.  Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many woman do noble things, but you surpass them all." 
                                                                                                                                    Proverbs 31:26-31


wearing our high school colors to support my sister at a danceline competition;
Go Bearkats! :)


2 comments:

  1. I love your post! How you mention her good and maybe not so good qualities but that is exactly what makes her unique and special. I became friends with my mom also as an adult and even know we have our disagreements like all good friends do right? What a blessing it is to have a mom who guides you and is there for you through thick and thin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Savannah,

    Beautifully written. I loved the memories you shared about your mom. "She was our teacher, our biggest supporter, our encourager, our friend, and our guiding light." I'll bet your friends loved her too.

    Thank you for sharing! In Christ...Susan

    ReplyDelete