Thursday, February 28, 2013

Oh the Places You'll Go


"The more that you read, the more you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."  -  Dr. Seuss

I've been meaning to write this post since the beginning of the week, but life happened and time got away from me!  Since a tiny someone is tucked away for a nap I get to squeeze in a post.  This week is National Read Across America week (February 25 - March 1), with Dr. Seuss' birthday being Saturday! Last year, even though A was not even 3 months old, we bundled up and headed to our nearest Barnes and Noble to read some classics - "The Cat in the Hat", "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish", and of course "Green Eggs and Ham."

Several people passed by with funny looks on their faces likely wondering why I was reading aloud to a newborn.  Little did they know I read out loud while she was still in my belly too!  I knew from the moment I became pregnant I wanted to pass along my love for books.  Reading is my getaway, my mini vacation, my passport to other worlds.

I read somewhere recently (forgive me for not citing where because I honestly have no clue) that there's a reason that people watch a movie and say "The book was so much better."  It's because when you read a book you get to be the producer, designer, and casting director!  Reading is your ticket to faraway places that you may or may not ever get to see.

Luckily, A has picked up on this same passion for words.  She's not the typical toddler who likes to tear pages out or flip through the pictures.  She loves "reading" by herself and also being read to by anyone that will share their time with her.  She plays with toys like other children her age, but her favorite thing is by far all of the books she has.  One day she may bring her daddy or me a pile of books and the next it may be the same one over and over and over.

I was blessed with so many books when I was pregnant because a friend gave me a book shower! It was a great idea and we have been adding to her library ever since.  Reading is not only a great escape, it helps with creativity, thinking skills, increases vocabulary, and improves memory!  If you don't have many books laying around the house grab your kiddo and head over to your local library for some free knowledge!


She had to turn around and cheese after the flash went off :)


   



Sorry, I've tried everything and can't figure out how to rotate the video.  If you have any tips, leave them in the comments section please!


                                                                                                            
      

No comments:

Post a Comment